RCU Forums - View Single Post - Head Gaskets/Shims for Pee Wee .020
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2003, 02:29 AM
Red Baron Mike
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Head Gaskets/Shims for Pee Wee .020

The shims are made with a series of punches from sheet or strip stock, similar to a cookie cutter. I originally asked if anyone has successfully done this to see if any simple methods were devised.

The way a manufacturer would stamp these is to have a male punch tool with a female die. Think of a thin sheet or strip of material passing over closely placed female dies. The male punches, also closely stacked, cycle up and down rapidly punching out these little "donuts".
The purpose of the female die is to support the material from the backside as the punch pops through so the material is cut cleanly without deforming.

To do this yourself in your work area, you would need to make a punch out of steel rod with a groove cut into the end if it. The groove width is equal to the width of the shim. The groove depth must be greater than the thickness of the shim material. The edged on each side of the groove must be a sharp, burr free right angle. The female die will be a mirror image of the punch with a slightly oversized groove so the punch could protrude into the die to enable a clean cut of material without deforming the material.

I am hopeful this makes sense to all of you.

Regards,