RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 02:17 PM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Interesting comment regarding the (venerable?) T-98 tranny. When I was 16 my dad had a 1 1:2 ton furd stake truck with a dump bed. The Trans was a (Borg-Warner) T-98, it also had a dual range electric rear axle. That trans leaked and had a death click in reverse. I got the glory of rebuilding it using parts from a salvaged, junk yard box. That worked out well enough. A few years later, the shop where I was working had a 1954 Hyster fork lift with a bad tranny . They asked me to have a look. I lifted the floor plate and saw an old friend. Told the boss I may have the needed cluster gear. Counted teeth and when I got home rummaged around and found a good T-98 cluster with the right numbers. Next night I loaded the case and attempted to install the input shaft. No way!
Tried three times and took a second look. The gear helix was exact opposite on the input.

Everybody, even the boss had a good laugh.

The 1962 C-10 ran a 235 cube 6 that was very closely related to the old 1929 inline 6. The 63 or 64 up were the next generation Chevy 6. That group ranged from 194 to 230, 250 and 292 engines. Also related to the 153 Iron Duke 4 banger my lopping off 2 of the 6 cylinders .

George DeLorean, brother to John DeLorean Of GTO and DeLorean Motor cars was a master builder of Chevy 292 engines for our local circle track. His sixes were dominating most of the V8 cars for years.