RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/7 Scale Blackburn Buccaneer All Composite Scratch Build
Old 12-15-2019, 11:09 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

I've been spending a lot of time on the computer refining the structural layout for the center fuselage. I had the basics done a while ago, but I needed to go and finalize all the various ribs and frames with the necessary cutouts and interlocking pieces. I also had to find a home for the inner flap servo.

As I was doing this, I discovered that, similar to the nose gear door cutout, that the main gear door cutouts were too small for the as-built main gear. With the constraints of the main wing attachment frames/ spars limiting the aft movement of the gear, I ended up having to extend the forward edge of the gear doors 14mm and the outboard edge 10mm. Hopefully no-one will notice.

I modeled the Intairco offset hinges and set the hinge line for the main gear doors - I had to deal with a clash with the retract units by moving one of the hinges aft and trimming off the lugs from the hinges. I have yet to work out the drive linkage placement between the main leg and the door.

The main gear doors were designed with a 1.5mm outer glass skin and then a 3mm doubler (from Airex foam) to add stiffness to what is a very large door. I have to deal with making some cutouts (dents) on the inner surface to clear the wheel and leg with the gear retracted, so still some design work left on the main doors before making the plug. My intention is to 3D print the plugs just like the nose gear door.

I still need to work on the engine mounts area.

Paul

Last edited by JSF-TC; 12-15-2019 at 11:15 AM.