RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to RC aircraft and just bought a kit
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2019, 11:16 AM
Clackamas Hillbilly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
OK, Mad Dogz, you must have spoken to Mike. I have been told he own both shops. Sky Knights is the field in Boring. Like I said it is a bit small for my tastes but it sounds really close to you. Molalla is a bit of a drive but much larger which I think would be better for a beginner. I am very close to the Clackamas Town Center and can be available to help you in person if you end up getting stuck. As far as radios go, Spektrum and JR are quite popular at both clubs but IMO any of the major brands will serve you well. The only time I would make a reccomendation of one over the other is if you may want to get into some specific airplanes.
Yeah, I'll probably go with a Spektrum for several reasons: I'm already a customer as I use one for my Axial SCX-10 scale crawler and I love it. They have a good reputation. And lastly I'm planning on buying an RC software simulator for my home computer and the bundle I was looking at comes with a Spektrum.

As for fields, where is the one in Molalla located? I'm a little familiar with the town but don't recall ever seeing anybody fly RC there. I'm also planning on putting in my own runway here at home as our field is a good 5+ acres, but that will be after I learn to fly solidly on my own.