RCU Forums - View Single Post - Taigen Track stretching
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 04:44 PM
Andrewjohn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Real tracks

Originally Posted by Tanque
I have a feeling all tracks will stretch with time, probably even full sized ones. The trick is to find an alloy that gives the best of all worlds
strength, hardness, resistance to stretching and still be affordable.

I'm sure rc tank track makers made a price point decision and that isn't changing anytime soon...

jerry
Hello Jerry. I’m new to this , just registered, so bear with me,..
Yes, real tracks stretch , of course they do. “Track bashing “ is a big part of any soldiers life if he is in an armoured squadron. When I was in a signals armoured squadron we used single pin tracks on our 439 signals variant APC. This was a steel track with a rubber pad. The pin was octagonal in cross section and sleeved with a hard plastic sheaf. This hard plastic sleeve took the wear and was better than a metal in metal pivot point. Each track started at 92 links , as I remember, and you replaced the whole thing once you were down to 88. You also replaced the drive teeth. The idler wheel was adjusted by means of a grease pump, you literally pumped the tracks up. Track bashing is a constant job and a tracked armored vehicle will go through many sets of tracks durring it’s service life.