RCU Forums - View Single Post - Batter plug size. Motor kv size. For 6s 8s 12s
Old 01-05-2020, 09:59 AM
35bertram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaft size

So all my 6s boats other then the m41 are running 1/8 shafts. All are running 40mm motor size around 1500kv and on 6s.
I am rigging two boats 8s. A prathner 40” deep vee and dumas atlas van line. I’m running a 1/8” shaft on the prathner and 1/4” on the atlas. This just came down to the parts I have laying around.

seems like most factory 8s boats are not even providing a 1/8 shaft with there builds. Most seem to come with 3/16 size. So is 1/4 total over kill for a 50” dumas running 12s and the dumas atlas I have all ready started to rig.

I can not see the loss of to much power to the larger shaft size. I have a lot of 1/4 propellers and also have the shafts and struts all ready in that size. But after looking around seems like with electric guys are running smaller.

I know from building large shop air compressors for my yacht restoration shop that electric hp has more torque then Diesel or gas. Basic rule is to run a 5hp electric compressor kn fuel you need 10hp diesel or 15hp gas motor. All large 26-30cc gas boats run 1/4 I have even broken a 1/4 shaft on my 50” gas boat. Probably due to lack of oil in the strut. But still an electric boat capable of the same speed as an electric should produce less striating torque with a prop under load then a gas motor. So isn’t 1/4 “ appropriate.

Last edited by 35bertram; 01-05-2020 at 10:02 AM.