RCU Forums - View Single Post - O.S. Engines FR5-300 Sirius partial teardown
Old 01-06-2020, 06:51 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightning Fan
It has been a long time since I did this work, but I'm fairly certain that I was able to pull the front plate by soaking it (I remember soaking the whole engine) in solvent, and then I THINK I held the front plate, and tapped on the crankshaft with a prop nut on it, using a block of wood. The bearings were a press fit so they stayed with the plate. I would NOT pry on the plate if I were you. You want axial force on the crank relative to the bearings so the bearings slip off the shaft and not get cocked.

I never ran the engine. I had it nicely stored for some time, and then all my stuff was lost in a shop fire. That engine, along with a lot of other stuff, was lost in heat, water, dirt and ash. Still disturbed by it - I bought the collector ring for it and was really looking forward to putting it in some lumbering bipe.
Wow. Thanks. Never lost anything to fire. That must have been devestating. Sorry to hear.
I am pretty much in the same page with the Sirius.
Wont a puller on the alum. Cover flange mating surfaces naturally, and didn't want to try not seeing the assembly inside( can't find an exploded view of this engine).
It is in the soak again right now. May try to pop it off later.
Not to profit from tragedy but would you like to sell the ring.? I was going to fun this motor with headers only.
It would sound better with a ring lol