RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 10:07 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

While I may be fiberglassing, what I'm really doing is prepping the parts to make those corrugations that all Bonanza's have. After a lot of forethought, I decided on how best to make the corrugations. Using my Dremel rotary tool, I will route out 1/4" wide shallow flutes into the 3/32" balsa sheeting. Practicing on 1/32" sheeting, I was able to make shallow flutes without penetrating through. I also concluded that glassing the parts before routing will yield me a better/sharper edge once the balsa has been hardened by the resin rather than having to deal with glassing afterwards. Anyway, that's the plan, now it's time to fully commit to my plan and execute!!! Wish me luck...

1/2 ounce fiberglass cloth was cut and laid over the flap making sure it has about one inch of overhang all around. I know many modelers don't like using such light weight cloth, they have a hard time with the cloth staying in place along with having the weave separating while spreading the thick resin using a credit card. This is the problem why! First, the resin they're using is way too thick for such a light weight cloth and secondly, don't use a card to spread the resin, use a brush!!! I promise you if you try this method, you will fall in love with how the light weight cloth will easily follow the most complex curves. In the end you will end up with a better and lighter project.

Earlier on in this thread I had shared the ratio that I use, but I will quickly refresh your memories. In the small mixing cup, I pulled 5 cc's of resin and another 5 cc's of hardener and gave it a quick mix. To that, I added 10 cc's of denatured alcohol and gave it a final mix.

These are the chip brushes that I use to spread out the resin. I purchased them from my local hardware store. They are cheap and not worth the effort to clean. For today's job, I used the brush in the middle.

Liberally spread the mixture allowing it to wick into the balsa.

In total, I used 10 cc's.

Last edited by VincentJ; 01-25-2020 at 12:14 PM.