RCU Forums - View Single Post - Braking with Elevators Set up
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 06:39 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CARS II
Just came back from flying the Boomer, the first landing was done using the elevator/ brakes mix, the jet landed slow, and on the center line, the brakes were applied using full elevator, it took a big effort to push the elevators all the way down ( I never do that ) and had to pay more attention to the elevator instead of keeping attention on the steering, I felt out of place pushing the elevator all the way down.

Conclusion, didn't like it because I had to divert my attention to the braking, when using the slider only, I set it and forget it, my install restricts how much it can be adjusted also, soooooooo, elevators braking is not for me.

The brakes on my Boomer are back as the were.

Tks.
On the planes I used to use down elevator on I never used full down for brakes. Full brake was reached in about 1/4 down elevator and didn't make the wheels light or put much pressure on the nose. If the plane has trailing link gear they will squat with brakes anyway. While one or two of my jets may still have elevator mixed to brakes, I use a spring loaded switch on all of them and just pulse my finger if needed.

On my Flash, I still had elevator mixed with brakes even though I was using a push button for brakes. After not flying it for a while I made some tweaks and took her to the field a couple days. I noticed the wheels were worn more than I remembered. Well, after about three more flights the mains were almost down to the rims!! What the ?? Yep, somehow I changed my mix and it now had some brake applied with UP elevator. So every time I rotated for take off the brake was applied I wondered why I couldn't do wheelies any more

Last edited by causeitflies; 02-13-2020 at 08:38 PM.