RCU Forums - View Single Post - What other hobbies do you have?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 05:43 PM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I like making stuff, so I have a bunch of welding equipment, hand and power tools, and an assortment of material on hand. We sold the Harleys and bought a motorhome. I've been a firearms enthusiast most of my life, with an emphasis on handguns and rimfire rifles. I enjoy improving all kinds of stuff, and often end up making parts on my lathe to replace parts that wore out or never fit right. I smile every time I grab the handle on my shower door, because it was loose most of five years - until I spent an hour or so eliminating the soft nylon spacers that were not up to the task. I improved the design and made new parts from a scrap of Delrin rod I had left over from another project. I love to tinker, and will research what's on the market extensively. Often I find the best value is to buy a solution, but sometimes the only way to get what I want is to make it myself.
I also take satisfaction from saving money. I needed a counterweight for my tractor, 6-700 lbs with attachments to hang it off the 3-point hitch. A 55 gallon plastic barrel, a drawbar, some scrap steel, and a dozen sacks of concrete mix later, and it was done. It even has a receiver hitch built/cast in, so I can attach a trailer. Cost me under $100, about a third of the cheapest commercial unit available, and will outlast me.
I also enjoy reading, both books and Internet.