RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Sporster 40 sort of
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 04:04 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Taylor
Here is a crazy idea but it is just the way my mind works. Wrap the wing with sandpaper and then push the fuselage back and forth until it fits
Ha great minds think a like.

I have done that before believe it or not. Ya can get a nice fit that way.

What I actually just did was to remove a wing tip down to the last rib. I( marked exact center of the trailing and leading edges and then sat that end firmly down on a piece of paper that had a center line drawn it, while centering the wing rib. I got lucky that a shop lite was kind enough to let me rest the the other wing tip against it and keep the wing secure while I traced around it. Sounds like a pain but it really wasn't. I need the wing tips remove any way so I can attach proper Super Sporster wing tips to the wing.

I then put some wide scotch tape over the pattern I had just drawn of the wing airfoil. folded the paper on it's center line and cut out the pattern, both sides at once, even though I really only needed the upper side. The reason I applied scotch tape to my airfoil pattern was to make it thicker and stiffer for tracing it onto a fuse side. that side then became my pattern for the other fuse sides.

I had to add some fill stock (2 pieces of 1/8" balsa) to the original wing cut out. So I actually added one extra piece to give a little more meat to the wing saddles.

Now all of this nonsense could easily been avoided if I had made DARN SURE the wings actual airfoil matched the S.S plans. I could easily have adjust at that time. Oh well, it ain't nothing but time, is it. I do find that at 67 I do sometimes forget a little step that can bite me in the butt. If you noticed that the fuse side have written on them glue, They also have no glue wrote on them. Just trying to avoid to of the same side fuse sides. Done that, been there, ain't fun.

Ken

Look what I found in the wing tip. Now that is 2 washers I can take off of my shopping list

Nearly perfect fit I had to remove the original wing tip so I could use the last rib as my pattern. Was going to have it to do any way so I could replace with proper Super Sporster wing tips. So I am just a bit ahead on this one wing tip.

I have sat this bulk head a 1/4" forward to allow for the two 1/4" ply wing dowel receivers that will be added later. for alignment purposes.

Last edited by flyingagin; 02-25-2020 at 04:28 PM.