RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?
Old 03-11-2020, 09:48 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mach5nchimchim
So the AMA benefits, but not those other groups you listed and you want to hold it against the AMA, so is the AMA the only real legit group or do those others ones you listed count to? What is somehow they get a fria approved? What then?
I didn't list other groups, because policy is that ALL other groups have to be offered similar access. DoD knows they cannot do that, so they have to be exceedingly careful to whom they do grant special access. That's why IGs tend to get involved when they find out about such things.

As to what happens if the FRIAs go through? Honestly, I think the chances are low. It clearly has Constitutional and letter of the law issues (and FAA has been burned once before on the latter), but also once OMB sees the $60 million or so in costs (membership fees) not considered in the financial analysis. That said, if it goes through, I'll keep working to oppose them on the same grounds. But I suspect DJI will take the case to court, and they have the resources to win. And ultimately, I think most people will walk away from the hobby (not enough "true believers").