RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vortex F3A build thread
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 04:29 AM
Krille

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lofl
Hi, any pictures of the equipment installation? Closeups of control horns etc.?

Awesome work, very nice looking design. Looking forward to a flight video and report.
Total weight finishes less batteries/fuel?

Thanks.
Hi.
Here is some pictures and a flight report from the first 3 flights. Thats all I have done so far as the weather has been rely bad.

Total Flying weight without batteries is 3881g
Fuselage 2700
Wings 828
Wing tube 55
Stabs with tube 298.

Im Currently using Gens Ace 2x 5s 5000mAh batteries that are heavy (1171g) and a LiFe 1600mAh battery for reciver (73g) so my total flying weight is 5125g right now.

The first 3 flights was around 8mins 30 sek and used 2500-3000mah so I could easy save 200g if I change to hackerTopFuel 4600 batteries and be well under 5000g flying weight.

And also a miss communication between me and the guy that did the laser cutting so all my spars in both wing and stab is medium density balsa instead of light so i have calculated something like 50g added weight there. my cowl was not done right so i can save another 15g on that to if i make a new one. And i use heavy plastic hinges that was close to 30g for all.

But the plane flies amazing what i can tell i think with some minor fine tuning its going to be even better.

I moving the batteries a little rear for each flight to get the GC right.
It is rely neutral in knife edge and knife edge loop was no problem.
In both vertical upline and downline it pulls a little to the canopy. So i have adjust more engine down thrust and also decreased the wing incidence -0,5 deg for next flight.
I built in 2,5 deg right trust on the engine and that is just a tiny a bit to much as it pulls just a little to the right in verical upline. Im going to trim this to 2 deg later but for now im using a 2% left rudder mix at full trottle and it works well.

I have been flying RC for about 30 years but F3A (nordic class) only for 1,5 year so my experience in pattern flying is limited. But am super happy with the initial flights and if flies better than my Wind S Pro that is the only 2x2m pattern I had before the Vortex. The high fuselage rely helps with the visual reference of the model compare to my Wind S, but i dont know how it handle windy condition yet.

The following users liked this post:
robin24 (01-06-2021)