RCU Forums - View Single Post - Please advise, I am new to all of this and need a starting place
Old 04-19-2020, 05:20 AM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stickman/vic
I just posted a Hitec Minima RX that is, as the name implies, very small and light. As to servo noise, not many are quiet, there are a lot of gears in there that are turning, especially the digitals.They are always seeking the sweet spot of "home" . Your transmitter would have to be a Hitec and there are always some for sale on this site Stickman/vic
In essence you're looking to radio control a ventriloquist dummy.

I believe that servos can be used to articulate a number of functions that a dummy might have including controlling the eyes, eyebrows and turning the head. The movement of these features seems to be within the speed range of servos, but articulating the mouth is another matter. The speed required for the movement of the mouth is a good bit faster than the output from any servos I've seen. There are other possibilities however. Before I go any further I must explain that I have no expertise in the field that I will suggest, but I am familiar enough to think that this will work for you. What I am referring to is robotics and within that field is an item that I believe you need instead of a servo. It's called an actuator. These devices can move much faster than any servo and do not generate that much noise. It may take a bit of exploring in robotics, but I believe you'll ultimately find what you're looking for.

Good luck with your project!!!