RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vortex F3A build thread
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2020, 05:19 AM
Alex Voicu

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasha doctor
Hi Alex! Tell me please, can you masterpiece weight less than 5 kg without resorting to expensive equipment? Or is this weight unavoidable due to the size of the model?
My goal was a total weight under 5kg with 1200g batteries and this is achievable with a film covered model, i have no doubt about that.

Krille uses a heavy receiver battery for practice, so it is possible to save 50g right there. In competitions i always used a 500mAh receiver battery which was enough for 4 flights, then changed it.
He also had a misunderstanding with the laser operator, so his wing internal structure was cut from medium weight balsa (not light as planned). If i remember correctly, his wings were 300g each before covering while mine are 265g, so that's a 70g weight saving. My stabs are also a bit lighter (probably around 20g lighter in total).

So considering all other parts are equal weight, my plane should be under 5kg with the same equipment. Also keep in mind that my plane was built with 100kg/m3 balsa, which is good enough but significantly heavier than competition grade balsa.

Anyway, 1200g for batteries is very heavy nowadays. A good pair or 5000mAh batteries only weighs 1050g, so Krille should be able to get his plane comfortably under 5kg for competitions.

Last edited by Alex Voicu; 05-02-2020 at 05:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alex Voicu:
robin24 (05-09-2020), Tolvai (10-21-2021)