RCU Forums - View Single Post - DoJ Issues Guidance for Counter Drone in US
Old 05-15-2020, 05:29 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Strowe
Of course that is what RID is for. I knew that 2 1/2 years ago when the FAA began the latest push for RID.

The pushback from most modelers is not specifically about RID per se; What is really at issue is that, if enacted in it's unchanged form, it will relegate us to flying piss-poor, store bought toys. I personally have something north of $15 grand iinvested in my R/C stuff, and none of it is obsolete. And with the exception of RID (which will render it ALL obsolete), it would be completely, safely flyable for decades. But the DOJ, DOD, FAA, DHS completely disregarded the fact that long-time modelers have substantial investments in equipment, yet chose to design an RID system that is unusable for those modelers.

If the FAA would allow the development of an RID system, that could be retrofitted to current models, and did not have a cellular/wifi requirement, the pushback would be greatly reduced. The problem with many arguments (such as from the NFL) is that the NFL doesn't play it's games out in rural America (with a lack of cellular/wifi coverage); they play in urban centers. So explain to me why we are to be stuck with a system that only allows one to fly in essentially an urban center (where the problem exists), while this system will not allow one to fly in rural settings (where the problem is non-existent).

R_Strowe
Exactly the point, the problem is not me having to equipe my plane with RID, I can do that with a small TX, its the stupid regulation concerning point of manufacturing. Meaning that all UAVs must be from a certified manufacturer and any older models flying will be phased out of the system within three years.

What BS. I have a scale P51 I have been flying for 27 years and was kit built. Under the new regulation, I will not be able to fly it three years after the regulation goes into effect. PERIOD! Unless of coarse I got through Manufacturing Certification.

Then the crap about the FAA designating RC areas for us to fly our traditional models, yet then phasing them out by not premiting renewals?

Its a move to phase out anything that will allow us to be innovative.

And where is the AMA in all this? Not supporting the traditional modeler! The have their head so far into the UAV and Educational rear end of the spectrum that they fell right into the FAA web of entanglement and RC modeling is getting screwed.

EAA is doing a lot more than the AMA to push our case to the FAA, because they feel we tradional RC modelers are getting a bad rap, and are concerned that if the FAA gets their way and forces RC modeling into being obsolete, then they will do it for homebuilt and GA as well.

Scott