Thread: Purchase info
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 08:00 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Here are my thoughts:
  • HoBao Hyer10TT - I have owned 3 of these and raced them for many years
    • Design flaw in steering, requires custom ackermann bar to be bent to fix
    • Requires far too many aftermarket upgrades making the car equally as expensive as TEKNO/XRAY/PR
    • Dated geometry, no quick access diffs, no pill inserts, limited tuning options and non standard springs/sway bars
    • Just not worth the effort to make this car right
  • Traxxas Rustler - I have not owned this car but will share my thoughts
    • Overpriced for what you get, far more limited tuning options compared to HoBao
    • It's not a true Truggy, without a rear wing it will not be nearly as easy to drive
    • If you will be running on an indoor dirt track you absolutely need a center fluid filled diff, which will add to a long list of upgrades which will put you close to total cost with a true race grade by the time you're done making things right
  • TEKNO ET410 - I have owned this rig and have over a year of race experience with it
    • You will be nickle and dimed on necessary upgrades
    • weak points are inner suspension arm pins, front shock tower and front bulkhead
    • truck is phenomenally more durable than HoBao and Traxxas, but I have seen a guy break 3 bulkheads on the same race day, talk about having bad luck!
  • XRAY XT4 - I have not owned this truck but I race alongside several guys and am very familiar with it
    • Very solid design, about equal in durability with TEKNO, if anything a pinch easier to drive
    • Only weak point are the arms, they did not upgrade them from the 2WD version they are based on, I've seen guys break arms about as often as TEKNO breaks bulkheads
  • PR Racing 401R-T - I have been racing this truck for about a year now
    • Most durable option of any Mini Truggy on the market today
    • Geometry is extremely similar to XRAY, performance is about a wash
    • Includes more upgrades in kit than any other brand making it the most cost effective on the market today
    • BUILD/REVIEW: PR Racing 401R-T

Feature Comparison Chart between PR Racing, TEKNO and XRay

Hands down, PR Racing is the clear winner in my book, if I wasn't happy with the brand I promise I would've went back to TEKNO or jumped over to XRAY by now.