RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA membership interests
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 02:17 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by ECHO24
It is from Lawrence Tougas' campaign statement, the only common sense I've seen from anyone at AMA.

2% growth in multirotors over nearly five years shows Lawrence Tougas was on the mark. Those are also
most likely traditional modelers who also have drones, as Tougas points out below.

"We must return the AMA’s focus back to traditional modelers...

... a tidal wave of bad news stories crashed down on AMA members... The common denominators in
these events were that the offender was flying a multi-rotor model (MRM) and they were not an AMA member.

The problem is ...Since an MRM pilot doesn’t need flight instruction and they can be flown from a small area there
is no incentive to join a local club or the AMA.
... Less than 10% of our members list MRM or First Person View
(FPV) as their interest. Most of the current MRM and FPV pilots that are AMA members are traditional modelers
who have expanded into these areas not new recruits to our fold.

So if we are not seeing a large increase in membership in these areas then why is the AMA chasing people
who have clearly spoken that the AMA is not for them?
...The thought was the AMA would have a new stream
of members to fund all of our membership programs such as flying site assistance grants, education scholarships,
political outreach, etc. ..it is time to reassess our plan."

AMAhas been chasing drones and FPV over Hanson's fantasy of ruling all RC flying, even when it became clear
it was a dead end. It's the FAA and FRIAs that have finally ended it. Ignore whatever you like.

Lawrence is a good guy with great insight. If he ever decides to run for AMA office he has my vote. I think he's too vested in staying in California though.