RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA membership interests
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 01:35 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcmors
That could be, and please understand I'm not trying to make any excuses for the AMA, all I am trying to say is individuals have a responsibility to obey the law (ignorance of the law is no excuse). When there was language in there regarding following the safety code of a CBO, when an individual signed up for an FAA registration it was their responsibility to acquaint themselves with those rules and that safety code. When I agree to follow the rules, speed limits and laws in my State to obtain a driver's license, the fact that I never obtained the free driver's handbook and/or never read it does not absolve me of obeying the laws. The individuals doing idiotic, stupid things with drones are responsible as individuals for not following the rules and, in most cases, for not using common sense logic. If someone doesn't intuitively understand that flying close to, above, near, around manned aircraft, or over a large metropolitan area, crowds of people etc. is dangerous and generally a bad idea, in my humble opinion they are likely too stupid to be allowed to go free in society. They are a danger to themselves and others. The AMA has no more responsibility to police non members than the NRA being responsible for people doing dangerous and illegal things with their guns.

For an AMA member not following rules the limit to what the AMA could do about that is revoke their membership, what do you propose the AMA could do to a non member who isn't following the rules?
Everything you say about personal responsibility is true, and obviously doesn't work. A clear message from AMA
to push droners to follow their rules was needed, but AMA's only message was defiance, starting with their lawsuit
against the FAA giving droners a license to break FPV rules, and every other rule the AMA defied the FAA on (and lost).

Rather than help, AMA fueled the drone anarchy that led to the repeal of 336 and the FAA taking over the hobby,
while thinking drones were their future. Talk about an epic failure.