RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fuel proof paint alternatives?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 06:25 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GoNavy
If you have good skills using a brush, System Three has polyurethane colored paints. Minimum of three coats. Hot fuel proof when you add the crosslinker. They no longer recommend spray painting except by pressurized means such as AAA, which is out of my league. I have had mixed results trying to brush it on. Others do very well. It is waterborne so almost no stink.
Two part epoxies are available if you can spray paint.
I am on the look out for polyurethane colored paints that are free from isocyanates, which are nasty. The new technology has made its way in automotive refinishing and other uses. If anyone has found an isocyanate free polyurethane or acrylic that is fuel proof and practical, please let me know.
I found your mention of isocyanates to be very ironic in my case.
I've owned and operated an auto body shop for many years and I'm currently involved with furniture restoration where I use many of the same materials and finishes as in auto body. In all the years that I've sprayed paints with exotic chemistry, I hardly ever used a respirator, I enjoy smoking and I've never suffered any ill effects as a result! (Save your admonitions)
Now the irony. I was at the airport last weekend to paint a utility locker that sits behind the airplane at its parking spot. The paint was Rustoleum that was applied with a roller outdoors. I absolutely hated the smell of the stuff and ended up going home with a headache!
I'll stick with the urethanes and the isocyanates. They work much better, usually smell much nicer and they don't give me a headache! LOL

I might also mention that no flowers ever smelled sweeter to me than the aroma of jet exhaust drifting across the airport. Most people don't get it, but pilots do!

Last edited by airsteve172; 06-05-2020 at 06:42 PM.