RCU Forums - View Single Post - Foamie jet for X45/K45 ?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 04:42 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

I got 3 flights on my F-22, 2 flights on the F-4, plus a bunch on the big F-16 this weekend. All went well till the last F-22 flight and my canopy hatch blew off on first turn after take off and got lost in a bean field. I pulled power back thinking I had lost a stab or vertical fin as the aircraft pitched up and seemed hard to control. After recovery I saw it was the hatch and was able to land with some down elevator to correct for the aft CG. Landing was nearly normal except for holding down stick. We never could find the hatch. Have to get a new one.

I think the problem is that I have the battery full forward in the radome and the foam fuse forward of the nose gear will flex down and allow the latch pin to pop out. I had installed a balsa spacer on the front of the hatch to close the gap real tight but with the flexing I don't think it was enough. I plan to put some stiffeners in the nose to eliminate the down flex on the nose before flying with the new cockpit hatch. Not sure just how yet but TBD. I recommend if you place your battery in the radome you make the nose stiffer.

Gary