RCU Forums - View Single Post - Looking to return after almost 15year need advice
Old 07-02-2020, 06:08 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lovebunny_608
Thanks Jeremy Z that was great help.

Yeah in need new tires on all of them they busted as soon as i squeezed them. I have 3 feigao brushless seansorless motors from back in the day, but need a new esc the old one is acting up the more run it, afraid it is going to mess the new batteries i bought up. Most the radios work but most esc's i got don't.
Capacitors probably went bad. Bummer.

I am thinking i will buy a xmaxx and a better esc for it
Have you seen an X-Maxx in the plastic yet? They are BIG, probably 1/7 or 1/6 scale. You're not going to be able to run it just anywhere. They need hundreds of dollars worth of batteries, esp. if you want a spare set. I ran mine on 4S and was pretty happy, but now folks are running 8S. They had issues with the ESC of the first model (the one I had) and did kind of a ghetto fix by adding a resistor, but now they've re-designed the ESC and fixed it properly. (to my understanding)
That said, it was really good to run in a grassy field, where smaller-tired models were slowed down a lot more.

and ues the stock one to run the feigao motor in my stampede if it will work.
That's a huge overkill for a Stampede, since a Stampede would never need more than 3S. (three series LiPo cells) My advice is to start with the stock ESC, if you get the X-Maxx, and keep in mind that Traxxas will support you if it goes bad. (as long as you don't hack anything up, hehehe) That's part of why Traxxas is expensive these days. They support their customers with a good help line, parts available everywhere, etc. They just don't want to pay for your learning mistakes, since their engineers have already done it. My biggest beef with them is they make these batteries with a proprietary plug that cost twice as much as one with the same spec from Gens Ace or something. Then, if you save money and improve by wiring on another plug (I like EC5), it voids your warranty. On the other hand, if you DO buy their battery and charger, they are plug 'n play, and are of good quality.

One thing to look for: Most of us are using Lithium Polymer battery packs now. They are MUCH more volatile than the NiMH and NiCad we used back in the day. They have to be charged a certain way, discharged a certain way and stored a certain way or they will start a fire. But the performance is SO much better than NiMH that we put up with it. (double the energy density and at least double the discharge current to power the vehicle) It's to the point now where most folks don't choose nitro or gas when they're starting out. When we were doing it in the 80s, nitro was what the fast guys ran, but not any more. Now, it's just for nostalgia and people who like the noise, smell, and extra work.