RCU Forums - View Single Post - Towing a Trailer
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2003, 02:02 PM
phread59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Towing a Trailer

Hello again:

Finally a thread here I can help with. I am a 20yr auto technitian vet. The one thing that I will stress to anyone who has an automatic transmiossion and tows. Heat is the enemy! Transmission fluid condition is paramount. Make sure you fluid is in good condition. Most fluids are only good for 30,00 miles. General Motors products especially. They use Dexron type fluid. It is good stuff but does not like to be misstreated.

Transmission auxillury coolers are highly reccomended. Especially for front wheel drive cars. Most trucks are ok as they come from the factory. But an aux coller won't hurt.

And last but not least. With an automatic use the shift lever. If you lug a vehicle in 4th gear with the torque converter locked up you can easily overheat the trans. Either by switching off Od or by pulling the lever into 3rd gear or both you can keep your transmission cool and happy.

As before if anyone has questions on anything related to this topic. Just start a new thread in here and call me out by name I an here a lot and can answer your questions.

Mark Shuman