RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skygate/CARF Viperjet
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 08:37 AM
USAF FLYBOY
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see that this thread is still alive. I used this forum for all the info needed to achieve a successful maiden after a recent month worth of building.

I had a Swiwinn 140b needing an airframe and I wanted a jet that could be built achieving a light wing loading due to the fact that our club here in WV has a less than 400' grass strip. Not to mention a hillside with trees at one end. I was concerned at first that I was taking a chance with the smaller turbine knowing what everyone else here is putting in theirs but one user on this thread was powering theirs with a 140N turbine and it gave me the courage to take on the project. The thing is (at our field) a go around is not an option unless a commitment to landing is cancelled and full power acquired before reaching the beginning of the strip. The only way I'm confident enough to try this is with airspeed telemetry reporting airspeed every second into headphones as I'm flying. First flight: determine stall speed right after takeoff so as to have as much fuel in tank as possible for heaviest weight. After that, stay above and all should be well.

Here are some of the specs:
Less than 32 lbs dry and using only 2.8L tank.
CG: approx. 1/2 in. behind rear of wing tube with only UAT full. (With the batteries above front wheel, 8 oz. of lead above batts. used to achieve this.) Btw 0 trim needed on maiden.
Full flaps: 85 deg.
Elevator: 30mm up and down with 40% expo. Approx. 1/8 in. down elevator with full flaps.
All other surfaces are as the manual suggests. NO dual rates are used on my setup for controller simplicity.
Top speed reached so far is 142 mph and out of a dive I could get faster.
Stall speed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 37 mph.
Stall characteristics are great if straight and level but if abrupt full elevator is applied near stall speed then it will tip stall as you would expect.
I will say it's a nice performing model. Nothing exceptional with 140N, but fun to fly.
Decals for Mclaren scheme were purchased at Taylormadedecals.com as recommended by this thread.

Overall I love it. Burned about 8 gals. in it so far. Can't wait to fly again!

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and knowledge!