RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli SBD-3 Dauntless build
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 04:51 PM
BatteryBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some help with the control surface covering. I've seen many techniques on this, starting with Tom Pierce and followed by many others.

I see a mix of techniques used, some depicting rivets and others showing the tape/rib lacing method. I found an interesting pdf (ama_Ch03.pdf) which explains both. But which was used at the time SBD's were produced? I'm assuming that not everything we see on planes seen in present day is factory original.

There are pictures that show the fabric over rivets which create a ridge effect

you can see the rivet heads on the rudder and elevator

And then you see the raised dashes from the lacing cord in the pic below. I had planned to glue a thin styrene strips to simulate the fabric tape that the lacing cord wraps over.

I've started the rudder and put rivets with tape over the top. It's thin enough to look scale and creates the same type of ridge (if you don't go crazy heating the tape up between rivets).

Next, I'd like to hear what folks have to say about the trim tab hinges - again I see two types: a two way hinge with pins on the top/bottom sides and a (for the lack of the right technical terms) universal ball joint type of hinge point.

Last edited by BatteryBob; 07-14-2020 at 04:56 PM.