RCU Forums - View Single Post - Beginner questions
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 08:42 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

If you don't want to go postal in your neighborhood, or hurt yourself and your family, never build a Kadet Senior. It's for people with dementia, or medicated for dementia perhaps, that can tolerate such a convoluted build and not notice. It's for the insane, designed by the insane. If you have one ready to fly, that's a different story, they fly great, if you can transport it in a mini van or truck. Huge wingspan and long fuselage, not easy to store either. The Kadet Senior is the most started and most abandoned kit ever made.

Get a smaller plane, without all the wooden match sticks for a bird cage style of construction and you'll thank me later. Senorita is a similar bird cage design, but somewhat smaller in size. Beautiful flying characteristic (I have one) but to build, no. I bought mine ready to fly for $125, sold the engine off it for $90 and threw a used Magnum 52 4 stroke on it, still cutting the dowels off it and upgrading to nylon bolts for the wing, because I don't do rubber bands since my last crash was in 2009, I don't need them or want them in any case.

The Kadet MKII gets my vote and the LT-40 that wasn't mentioned. Easy to build, fast to build, you won't lose your mind building it, and they also fly well, are both durable trainers to some degree, but certainly not the most durable.

If you abandon SIG and want something else, the STICK 40 PLUS from BALSA USA is a fast easy build, and an excellent trainer for little money. I learned to fly on it, had a FP 40 for power that had a ton of castor stains on it. This plane was given to me free, after it trained 6 other people at the field and looked like grandma's quilt of monokote patches. I stripped it down to the wood and covered it in one color, and then after I was ready for a low wing trainer, I passed it on to the 8th beginner at the field. Another words, that plane survived more crashes than any other plane on the planet, and kept on going. Something to consider, when the bird cage designs SIG puts out, can't hardly lay any claims to that sort of durability when you auger one in hard.

P.S.
No offense to anyone suffering dementia, it's my twisted sense of humor. I presume no one here has such a disease.

Last edited by J330; 07-19-2020 at 08:46 PM.