RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli 1/7 (120") B-25 B scale build
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 09:41 PM
rossmick

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lets finish the B-25

Well here I am with many years that have passed. The B-25 was put up on the shelf and many other projects and planes have been produced. The big change for me was getting into electric power. Started small and ended up with the T-28 from E-flite and trying to make it scale. Spent many hours and experiments learning the ins and outs of electric. Each step let me learn a little more about scale building, fiber glassing and flite metal application. I also have been using a sound system in the T-28 which drives the other flyers crazy but it does get a lot of attention. I also picked up the smoke system and just plan to use it in the start sequence. The T-28 is the Air Force version and I have poked in way more rivets in the flite metal than I care to think about. I now also have a 83” giant stik that is electric as well. Long story longer, I never thought I would get in to electric, however, after reading multiple “single engine out” crash stories I am seriously considering going electric on the B-25 rather than gas. Also, I have had enough issues with electric gear that I may go back to pneumatic gear. I have built a 12’ X 20’ shed for my lumber storage and converted the pump house shed to store airplanes as there is no room in the shop. I have just installed an air conditioner in the shop so now I can work out there in the 109-degree heat that we have been having here in Tucson. With the virus situation flying has become problematic as too many members are not following the sensible guidelines. That coupled with having to fly at 0600 using electric only to avoid the extreme heat makes is much more difficult to get out there. So now I have decided to just build, stay isolated and safe and get back to finishing all the unfinished planes. I will start with the B-25 and not be so driven for the perfect scale aircraft. I would rather finish the bird and fly it rather than to get stalled out on perfection which I really don’t have the experience to do right now. In looking at the completed sections I can see where there should be some improvement and I will start there. One issue is that an electric B-25 will be even heavier that the gas verson, so I am not sure I can stay under 50#s. Thinking of skipping the FG and just sealing the balsa and putting the flite metal on that to save some weight??

So here we go.

Last edited by rossmick; 08-10-2020 at 09:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
raaf (08-11-2020)