RCU Forums - View Single Post - Beginner Planes with SAFE
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 05:17 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rbstern
I'm 25+ years removed from my last RC flight, ready to get back in. I see a SAFE capable plane as a very good thing. I already know what the sticks do. I know how model airplanes are supposed to behave in the air, what the common mistakes are, what I should and shouldn't do, etc. What I don't know is, how will my reflexes, eyesight and well-aged brain work the first time after take off? Suspect I could probably take off in a trainer to intermediate/sport aircraft, get it in the air, do basic maneuvers, and get it safely back down. But SAFE capability pretty much guarantees that. Consider that as an additional use case. I'd probably turn it off after a couple of flights, and likely would never use it again, unless training someone else.

As far as people not learning because of SAFE: I disagree. A trainer with SAFE/intermediate/off setup is an ideal tool, IMHO. Particulary for folks who don't have ready access to others with knowledge. Ultimately, if a beginner never learns with SAFE disabled, that's on them, and maybe reflects their limitations as an RC pilot. That's not an indictment of the SAFE system. After all, it's got a switch. Not really sure how you can argue about the value of an inexpensive training aid that can be turned off.

Finally: Not all instructors are good teachers. In fact, some are lousy. Might be good RC pilots, but more than a few are lousy at communication, clear explanation, giving advice, etc. At least SAFE behaves the same way every time.
And, in your case, SAFE is nothing more than an insurance policy. For someone that's never flown before, it's a safety net and, in many cases, a crutch that gives a false sense of security. Can a beginner learn to fly with SAFE? Sure they can. Can a beginner learn how to recover from the mistakes SAFE protects them from? Not a chance IF they don't turn it off and leave it off. To make matters worse, the person that learns to fly using SAFE doesn't know what (s)he doesn't know or what to expect in situations that SAFE again protects them from