RCU Forums - View Single Post - Any of the Old School buggy guys still around?
Old 08-27-2020, 06:30 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by xplayer930
hahaha!!!! Old school is 1994...My first car was the Inferno DX...at age 8..Been in an out of the hobby for last 15 years (mostly out) ...Looking to get an associated nitro 1/8th scale...But must be honest...The hobby as a whole is dead. There are no LHS anymore. The last one i visited pre-COVID gave me an attitude that everything is electric now, nobody runs nitro. The advancements in this hobby are so far behind its ridiculous, radio technology is joke....The materials these cars are made out of could really benefit from carbon fiber...$2000 for a good buggy an I'm not impressed....
I first got into r/c around 1986 as a basher, took a break from 1992-1995 then got into flying .40 size planes and took a break from that in 2000 when my kids were born, when my son turned 10 we got into club racing around 2010. My son quit racing when he discovered girls and I've been hooked on racing since.

I've seen the industry make drastic changes over the years, so to say we are behind is absurd to me, what specifically is behind in your mind?
Radio technology is truly amazing to what was available when I first started, what exactly is missing? Here's a current look at what's out there today:
Which surface radio system is the best?

If you are only making your judgement from a single trip to your LHS and limiting your options to what they had available at the time, then I can understand your disappointment. Also curious which kit is selling for $2K? Most kits I see are in the $500 range and in order to hit the $2K mark for total investment for a true race grade platform, you'd have to limit yourself to over priced luxury brands from local distributors. I spend closer to $1K per car that I race and that's still with very reliable and high performance gear which keeps me fairly competitive.

Not trying to argue with you but will be happy to share some of my experience to help you get a different perspective.
The following users liked this post:
JROD92 (09-15-2022)