RCU Forums - View Single Post - RCV Engines
Thread: RCV Engines
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 12:24 PM
mchandrayan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello! again, I am writing to update on the 58 CD that you good folks helped me with.
Ran the engine on the test bench, since the gear noise was a concern, squirted a good amount of light oil through the breather and also some through the exhaust port to ensure that the parts had some lubrication on first start.
The engine was mounted on the test bench, a Graupner 12x5 prop, tank filled with my standard brew of 16% synthetic and 5% Nitro and an oldish OS F plug installed.
Engine was given good whirl with an electric starter to expel any excess light oil in the case, tank was connected to the carb, glow plug lit and the engine soon came to life (needles needed correct opening). The engine was run on varying slightly rich setting in 5 minutes spells till the tank was emptied. During the second tank run, slightly more aggressive leaning of the needle was attempted and the engine run for the same 5 minute spells. During one such peaked needle setting tach showed 10400 on the prop. That put a big smile on my face.
Subsequently,yesterday the engine was run for two more tanks using an APC 12x6 and the tach recorded a steady 9200.

Happy with the engine. The engine due to it's design does get hotter compared to conventional four strokes. With that in mind it will go side mounted on a Goldberg Anniversary Cub that is in the process of refurbishing. That way the engine will have adequate cooling and will have more than enough power for the model.