RCU Forums - View Single Post - K & B Torpedo .29
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 12:31 PM
Eddie H

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Davey This will be my first post on this site. I would like to add my two cents on the K&B Torpedo engine. I have flown control line since 1958 and belong to the South West Michigan Smoke Rings today. In 1968 I purchased a K&B Torpedo Green Head .35, from Americas Hobbie Center, in New York I believe. I Still fly that Torpedo .35 today, and it is mounted on a Sig Banshee that I fly regularly with a 10 X 4 prop to get 5.1 second lap times. Today I fly either 5 or 10% nitro and always 28% Castor and Klotz mix at 50-50. All these years that I have flown the K&B I have never abused it in all out flying. I did fly some combat with the Torpedo back in the 1970's with a wing called The Guillotine, along with a 9 X 8 prop and much nitro. I liked that Torpedo so much that I bought a second one in the early 70's, before they went out of production. I think the K&B series 75 took the Torpedoes place, which was a completely new engine then. The only draw back on the Torpedo is the exhaust is up and loud, the Torpedoes don't do well with a muffler and I never use one on it. These were powerful engines in the day and today this Green Head .35 still pulls my Banshee with ease and will do the 4 to 2 and back just like the Fox Stunt if I want it to. Fly your Torpedo 29 and enjoy it for what it is, that they are a great engine. Eddie H
The following users liked this post:
Dan Vincent (09-27-2020)