RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 05:39 PM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Well, got it running. Fired right up now that the GP have juice to them. I can't get it to run below 4K though with 2 turns out on the HSN. It will rev up to 8K in a heart beat, but if you close the throttle too quickly it stalls out. I want it to run @ 4K for the first tank, but the lowest it will stay running is 4800. The left bottom while facing it runs hotter than the others too. I am using SIG 4 Stroke 15% with 16% castor/synth blend. Did a valve adjustment too, they were a little loose, but mainly wanted to check oil after a 30 minute run, and good oil on all 3. Made the mistake of having the prop facing away from the garage, and filled the 4 car garage with smoke in the process. Turned it facing the garage after 5 minutes running or it would get into the house.

Any thoughts on where I should set the needles to get it to idle below 4K? I would at least like to have it idle at 2500 if possible for now until it is fully broken in. The 14 x 6 APC blew the tach off the table and moves the starter at 4500 RPM, does a pretty good job. Also what temp should I look for below the GP on the cylinders? Two were ~115* the left bottom 153*. Pretty sure it will fire off with a flip once the carb is set right, the starter runs about a second before it fires off.
Mike, 115°f is ice cold, those two cylinders are running too rich to allow 4000 rpm. Leave the glow system on, the hsn 2 turns out and adjust the lsn until it's still so rich that it will barely stay running at 4000 for 10 minutes. That first 10 minutes is to break in the rods, cam etc. Don't worry about differences in compression or temp differences between cylinders until later.

From a previous post:
"I adopted the same break in procedure from someone, can't remember who. I also run the engine for 10 minutes at each each rpm, 4k, 5k, 6k and 7k.

More specifically:

Flood the case with ATF or the ARO of your choice. Drain out excess. Check valve lash. Oil rockers.
I use a prop that I know would over rev the engine for break in purposes but don't run the engine past 7000 rpm with it.

4000 for 10 minutes as rich as it will run with glow power on.
Check valve lash. Oil rockers.
*****No glow power from here on*****
5000 for 10 minutes as rich as it will run.
6000 for 10 minutes leaned so there's a fairly frequent miss from being too rich.
7000 for 10 minutes leaned more so there's an occasional miss from being slightly too rich.
Mount intended prop for flying, restart engine with a full tank, adjust hsn for 300 rpm rich of peak, adjust lsn for good idle and go fly.
Check valve lash.

As you can tell, during break in I check the valve lash frequently. I allow it to open up to as much as .004", no more, and then readjust back down to .0015"-.002". I also oil the rockers if breaking in the engine in the upright position."

Last edited by Glowgeek; 09-30-2020 at 03:12 AM.