RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito's New Engine: FG-90R3
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 06:47 AM
jimkron

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by su27flanker
Thanks for your reply Jim, i'm running a master aircrew 24x12. I dont have any baffling, so hopefully it sounds like that might be the issue.

Where do you find the best mixture setting?
Reading this thread some people appear to be running approx 6 turns high speed and 4.5 on the low? much different from the manual (the manual stated settings seem to be quite lean?)
I've only done a break-in on the ground. Those are good starting points if you are unfamiliar. These engines are are pretty sensitive. The slightest adjustment could change performance. Weather, gas octane, type of oil, cowl on/off, even altitude can have an effect. My friend Ray lives in the mountains at 4500 feet. I live at sea level. Two slightly different settings. It takes some playing to get there, but here is where you want to be. Approximately, 1400 rpm at idle, 6000 on the ground, 6500+- unloaded in the air. Transition from high to low should be smooth and quick. Temps should stay between 200-250F...and the 250 should only be for a few seconds at full throttle. These are some basic numbers to consider if you want a long relationship with Miss Saito.

jim