RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jack Stafford Cessna 120/140
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 10:04 AM
ExtraCGScott

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Hi all. What ever became of this build? I am planning to build one from RCM 1123 plan ( Robert Sweitzer ) this winter, as the Cessna 120 that I took my pilot training in years ago. Curious to see what changes, or mods were done, if any."

Hi Grant - The 140 unfortunately took a the backseat to eye surgery, job change and current relocation/home sale. Currently in search of a larger shop in my new location! Ironically, your reminder comes at a great time. I am about to load all of the built components into my car to safely transport across state borders tomorrow. To do so, I finally separated the top half of the fuselage from my building board to transport. The bottom of the keel hasn't seen the light of day for exactly 28 years!! I am really tempted to just glue in in the bottom half of the bulkheads and fix the gear, but I am forcing myself to wait until I am settled.

But - don't worry... this is definitely going to be be finished!! When I began, 28 years ago... this was meant to be a birthday present for my father. I definitely need to put it on the fast track because my dad is now 75 years old! I soloed in my dad's 140 - so mine will have flaps (and maybe electrical).

So far - I have built it according to plans as Bernis Fields originally drew them. The one change I did make was to place formed bulkheads in two areas that called only for triangles (I will attached a photo to this is clear). This will help you when it comes to the planking. I also was fortunate enough to buy the plans early enough and order the corrugated plastic sheeting for the elevator and rudder from Sig. This came from their Bravo kit, which they have sold for you. The gear, channels for wing mounting, and windshield came from Leisure RC Models (for the Stanford kit).

Tell you what - let me know when you start your build. I will race you to the end (based on my own progress - you will likely win!). Photos in next post.