RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mibo A-10 Gen 6
Thread: Mibo A-10 Gen 6
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 07:49 AM
jackdiazccs

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigG
​​​​​​Jimibar,

To avoid exposure, one technique the A-10 (and other fighters) use is a “pop-up” maneuver. I never heard it referred to as a “dance”, but the idea is to stay low (terrain masking), then pull up sharply (pop-up), roll inverted, pull down into a dive and then roll upright, pointed at the target. Almost like a straight-ahead ˝ Cuban 8. Another technique involves attacking from an angle and staying in a turn (called a "curvilinear" approach), and rolling out just long enough to fire. Sometimes they use a combination of both methods.

In either case, after firing, A-10’s will typically pull away hard to avoid flying over the target and turn aggressively every few seconds (known as “jinking”), to spoil the aim of any would-be gunners. I actually try to replicate these maneuvers with my A-10 when the flying field and pattern allow it.
Hello Craig
Thanks for these explanations.
I will try the "pop up" next time ... sounds like an awesome maneuver !!!!
I had the chance to watch a great show put by a couple of A-10's at Reno races. They did all sort of attack and evasive maneuvers with actual firing at dummy tanks.
I always try to emulate that flight

Jack