RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Aermacchi MB339 2.5m from CModels Italy - minireview & build
Old 11-26-2020, 02:16 PM
Edhamp

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Electronics installation

I decided not to use the large ply equipment tray provided. Instead I used two smaller trays, one up front mostly for the radio electronics, and one at the rear of the cockpit area for bubble trap and fuel and engine ancillaries. For me, a favourite choice of material for this is using lightweight 3mm foam PVC signage board. This is available in many colours and sizes, easy to cut, drill, takes small screws and glue with cyano and is generally fuelproof. Really there is so much room available in this model with easy access that you will little problem finding a home for everything but do not forget to allow room for the scale cockpit if you want one. It makes sense to put all the heavy stuff up front where possible. It is very likely that the model will require some weight in the nose to balance.

Equipment choice is a matter of personal preference but a model like this deserves a good quality electronics system to handle everything . I prefer to use Powerbox Powerbus systems wiring on larger models with or without SBus servos. One thing to bear in mind is that with five gear doors, you are likely to need some sort of gear sequencer if your radio does not have enough channels and/or built in sequencer mix. Having a Powerbox Royal available I decided this would be ideal. This would provide standard servo outputs including HV outputs, for direct connection as well Sbus outputs going to the tail section and wings. Plus the sequencer would take care of the door system. A good alternative if you do not want Sbus would be a Powerbox Mercury or the newer Powerbox Pioneer. The Electron GS200 control is also a good choice to go with these if you run out of channels as this will take care of all your gear sequencing needs with other benefits.

All wiring (with some important exceptions) from the Royal to the rear section and hidden in the central duct which is section of ordinary electrical cable mini-trunking connecting the front and rear trays. The turbine power supply cable as well as receiver and throttle cable to ECU are all routed separately and away from other wiring just in case. The model was also fitted with a Unilight 4 channel light system. All the wing Sbus servos, included the gear door, are connected using a single Powerbus SBus multiplex connector on the wing root. A second connector takes care of the lights.

Radio and turbine batteries are mounted on the front bulkhead and easily accessed as the instrument panel coving is easily removable. The powerbox sensor switch and readout are under the front hatch. The top hatch is ideal for a fuel tap and somewhere to plug in and mount turbine GSU if required on board.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20201115_122941598_iOS.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	2268759   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201115_122601524_iOS.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	2268760   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201126_130543274_iOS.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2268761   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201126_130729310_iOS.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2268762   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201126_130518303_iOS.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2268763  

Last edited by Edhamp; 11-26-2020 at 05:13 PM.