RCU Forums - View Single Post - MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 11:50 AM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! I have the shims, I bought a set based upon advice from friends running these in Australia. My issue is the “feel” required with the shims. I think I’m close but not confident. That said I’ve managed a large number of flights over the past years and once we got the Rainbow Tronics ignition and the fuel pumps ive been pretty successful. I suspect that the higher diameter, slower RPM props I use may make the valve setting less sensitive ?
Thanks again!

Whit

Originally Posted by fatfreddy17
I cut a sliver of a 0.006" shim, bent the shim 90°, and then soldered the shim to an old screw driver to make it easier to hold. Rotate your prop until the push rod is loose, then I adjust valve until the shim snaps into the valve spring slot. Always keep your screw driver in the adjustment screw as you tighten the nut down. The trick is to be consistent in how you "feel" each valve gap.

I also oil each rocker before EVERY flight. Maybe overkill, but I do have a nice running motor, so I'm keeping as is.

1 loose nut or 1 valve a couple thou out of adjustment makes a world of difference how the motor runs.