RCU Forums - View Single Post - Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2020, 11:03 PM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v
Has anyone compared the LGC-15 to the Digitech CRU? I am currently operating three Xicoy LGC-15 units and recently purchased a Digitech CRU for comparison. At first, the DigiTech was a little intimating as there is no onboard screen, but that is not a problem if you are using Jeti because all the programming is done via the Device Explorer. The length and width of the two units are the same, the LGC-15 is a few mm more in height. I have not actually flown the Digitech CRU yet so I will reserve my opinions on the performance of the CRU until after my first few flights with it, I will say that taxi tests with the unit look very promising. Overall, so far, I'm very impressed with the Digitech CRU unit as it has many PROS over the LGC-15 if you are using a Jeti radio. If my test flights go well with the CRU I plan to replace all of my LGC-15 units in the near future.

Here are my PROS/CONS for the Digitech CRU so far:
PROS:
-If you use Jeti, programming is much easier and more convenient using Jeti Transmitter
-CRU is slightly smaller (in height)
-CRU is $50 less expensive
-CRU has option for Nose wheel brake (I don't use this option, but it's there if I needed it)
-CRU can send telemetry info to Jeti, can setup alarms for stuck gear doors etc.
-CRU works with only a single cable from the receiver (EX Bus) for gear signal, rudder signal, and brakes signal, and it's very easy to configure in the device explorer. Fewer wires for cleaner installation. I think the LGC-15 has this capability as well, but have not tinkered with it.
-No screen calibration errors to deal with like on the LGC-15, which seem to happen frequently.

CONS:
-The computer software needed to update the firmware is not very intuitive, although I was able to figure it out after only a few minutes of tinkering.
-If you are using a transmitter that does not have Jeti Device Explorer type capability I would not recommend the CRU because programming would presumably require a computer.
Thanks for the nice words
I'm sorry about the "Programmer" application that is used for uploading new firmware to the CRU, you are right, its not very intuitive. Its a program I use for many other embedded projects/systems I have made over the years, so it was a way of saving some development time.
Regarding using the CRU without Jeti, that's not gonna happen in the near future. There are so many feature to setup in the CRU that it would make for a somewhat complex application. A good example is the gear door sequencer, when you program that, you do it interactively. And it is SO much easier doing it from the transmitter than to have to do it from a PC.
So for now, and for a long time, its only JETI
PS: I'm the developer of both the hardware and software for the CRU and a "few" other things