RCU Forums - View Single Post - Foam core .40 size profile fuse?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2003, 10:49 PM
JIVE TURKEY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Foam core .40 size profile fuse?

ORIGINAL: molchaser

I like it

Another design feature I'd like to see is a removable wing to make storage and transport easier

Something like the Something Extra, or classic bolt on.

A friend of mine made a profile GeeBee with a 1" foam fuse with a bolt on wing and it works well

I'm all for this too, if it's not asking too much weight-wise! I've seen post's w/alluminum wing tubes, which is used in foam core large airobatic planes, so it might work well with what were talking about.

Spad-stick, I think your on the right track w/simple foam "profile-of-a-profile"with wood wrapped around it and laminated. My feeling on saving weight is also to use a light glue i.e; white alphaic or 3-m spray, but the foam choice IMO would be reg. 1-pound per sq./ft. (most common?) eps a.k.a bead board or expanded poly styrene, the lightest foam I know of. To me it just a "filler" to separate the laminate (which could also be thin/light), combining to make a stiff structure that does not "wind" (to quote a famous furniture maker).

Lightening holes are good, but if can be avoided, would simplify/speed up construction (our goal here!). If they were needed, I would consider "punching" them in before laminating!

I've been giving the "pigi" design a lot of thought and conclude that this might be the answer to lightening wing. I think you could make a "regular" foam core wing, laminating it, then cut the hollow out through t.e., then add your wood t.e. Or cut the hollow prior to lam. but leave it in to support the weight that's used to laminate (when the foam cores "negative" is used for support). Disclaimer; I'm not an expert on this subject because I've never done it[X(] just quoting how I think it's done, in case it's not making any sense, that is classic foam core wing design/lam. technique (sorry for rambling!).

As to the phonelic-backed wood laminate cummin thru (Joe?) talkin' about, How about just a thin layer of phonelic laminated to the foam (what's phonelic anyway?, some sort of plastic/cellulose composite?) In my opinion, a surface like this could just be painted, instead of covered and look awesome!

Keep the ideas coming, it's great to see the interest out there (I talk like I started this thread, sorry!). A note about myself, I'm not much of a reasearch and designer, (I REALLY don't have much time to build) So I'm hoping to "dig up" info about planes already out there, or spark some interest in guy's doing the trial and error with my own feeble ideas. I hope it works, 'cause I really think that how simple these planes are in design (but not in performance!), that they should/could be easier to build, if you so desire (I do ADMIRE those beautiful built-up structers that you guy's are puttin' out that you can show off with transp. covering!) I built one too and did a good job, it just took too long[&o]