RCU Forums - View Single Post - So Someone Please Explain.....
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 04:28 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default So Someone Please Explain.....

Why everyone seems to demand to know what ones voltage and ESC is when selecting a Brushless motor?

Yes the voltage is important and the ESC needs to match the motor specs. But it's the motor is that is selected to do a specific job. i.e. turn a given prop at a given rpm. And once a motor is selected, the other components can be selected based on the motors requirements.

I want to turn a 3/4" prop around 5000 rpm under load. This means the motor will free run several thousand rpm more than that. So am I looking for a 1000 KV motor and a battery in the 7 to 9 volt range?

But what about the physical size of the motor? I figured I'd want something smaller physically based in large part on the physical limitations of the model itself. Another reason to go with a lower KV, more torque.

The ESC should be capable of handling the Amperage the Motor will draw. But why should it be selected before the motor? Doesn't make sense. Sort of like buying new tires and then going out to find a car they'll fit on.

The battery too, why must it be selected prior to the motor? Again, it doesn't make sense.

The prop, pitch, diam and rpm determines the work to be performed. The motor should be selected to do that work. The ESC and battery should be selected to properly support that motor. Anything else is bass ackwards to my way of thinking.