RCU Forums - View Single Post - Foam core .40 size profile fuse?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Ten-Man
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Foam core .40 size profile fuse?

Jive Turkey Sorry I haven't read this thread in a few days I've been preping and competing in combat this last week. I just got back from Waverly NE. WOW what a great time....... Anyway I digress. My wing plan is very simple and quite strong as it is in the above pic. If it has a drawback it is that it has no sheeting. I will just cover the foam wing with Towerkote low heat covering. The drawback is that it will get fingerprints and small imperfections if you grab the wing or knock it against something. Other than that it is one tough dude. These are the same building techniques I use in combat and our wings hold up real well to impacts at 80+ MPH. So it should be plenty strong for a 40 size funfly. My thinking on this projest is to come up with a plan like a SPAD in that it builds quick and uses cheap easily obtainable harware store products. Everthing you see was bought at a lumber yard except for the 2 sheets of 1/4" balsa sheet it took to do the control surfaces. I was originally thinking of doing those in Coroplast which would even further reduce the building time but I thought it would probably flex to much as large as the control surfaces are. I will probably still try that later. My estimated weight with a ST .45 is 4.5lbs I have weighed everything I'm putting in the plane plus a bit of weight for covering and its 4.5lbs so it should fly pretty well I think. I will put lightning holes in the wing and my next fuse will have a better layed out set of lighning holes to further reduce weight in the airframe. Combat is done for the year so away I go on some fun sport models. I should have some further reports in the coming weeks. As for CF tubes and tape etc. BAH HUMBUG I think I can find cheaper ways to make a great funfly that fits the bill of a Morris type steller model. Just my 2 cents.