RCU Forums - View Single Post - Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K
Old 12-29-2020, 09:56 AM
5th GeeBee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hannes83
Why no flights so far Mark? I always thought your airplane is ready to go, what happend?

Hannes
Where do In start. A few months ago I brought the plane to my field for taxi tests and even though I had reinforced the substandard TW assembly, it totally failed. I stupidly set down my tx to grab the tail and bumped up the idle and it taxied away and hit a table, damaging the left wing and right elevator. Stupid mistake on my part. I should have just killed the engine. It took 2 mos. for CARF to send me the wing and elevator. I was about to do the flying wire reliefs on the new wing when I noticed a crack in the "cake frosting" on the bulkhead where the flying wires attach so it had to be re-epoxied.
The good news is that in the meantime, I found an original nib Fults TW assembly. Huge difference in quality. I had to remove the rear bulkhead and mounting blocks to install it because of the difference in the bolt pattern but it came out strong and true. That and being lazy has delayed my maiden. It should be in the air before the end of Jan. (weather permitting). It will look perfect!

Mark