RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fields w/ >400 ... since AMA won't share info
Old 01-01-2021, 05:55 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fields w/ >400 ... since AMA won't share info

Despite being asked by a number of folks, AMA is quite silent on exactly which fields are able to fly >400. They've been working on getting higher altitudes for over two years. So I did some sleuthing and decided to post what I've found. I've found just two significant successes in that time, and they are posted below.

I have confirmed that the Las Vegas Radio Control Club got higher altitudes. It's located in controlled airspace and seems dominated by jets and large aircraft, and serves a major metropolitan area. From their website:

"Important announcement. LVRC has established an official Letter of Agreement (LOA) with the FAA. The LOA allows Bennett pilots to fly up to 1000 feet AGL (above ground level) with no changes and up to 2000 AGL with a few stipulations. If you wish to operate aircraft above 1000AGL the FAA must be notified one day in advance and you must have a spotter." - Note 1

While not yet approved, it appears that Coachella Valley Radio Control Club near Palm Springs CA is next. Like the club above, they're near a mega metropolitan area (LA Basin), predominantly jets and large aircraft, and also in controlled airspace. From their 1st and 2nd Quarter Newsletter:

"Unfortunately as of this date the long anticipated meeting with CVRC, the AMA and the FAA has been postponed. But the first meeting with the FAA and the Las Vegas club took place. They were successful in getting a 2000' ceiling around their field. I was called by Tyler Dobbs after that Las Vegas meeting who said that we were next. Then came the shutdown with the virus and all travel from Washington and Indiana was stopped. Tyler said that we should get between 1500' and 2000' without any problem." - Note 2

So what's common to both? They're in controlled airspace, where we already knew 49 CFR 44809(a)(5) law gave FAA ability to allow higher. Also, they both are near major metropolitan areas and big clubs with a lot of money. And both support large models and jets principally. So if you're a big club, near major cities, in controlled airspace, and have big population of large aircraft and jet flyers, it appears you're in luck. If you're in class G, not near a big city, not a big club, etc., I've yet to find one where AMA has had similar success.

I would encourage others who can confirm limits above 400 AGL to post those here as well. It'll give us some idea as to the AMA's success rate and give us an indication of whether there's any hope for greater than 400 in class G.

Note 1: Home
Note 2: http://www.cvrcclub.com/files/Propwa...20_Revised.pdf

Last edited by franklin_m; 01-01-2021 at 08:45 AM.