RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fuel without nitro
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 10:03 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a question, what is Beaver oil? Where can you get it? 2% acetone is common, it improves the transition on throttled RC motors much like nitro does. I would not be concerned with that percentage. It will not give the same performance as nitro but the motor will run better than with no nitro with no modification to the motor. Sometimes no nitro fuel requires a bit higher compression than fuel with nitro, especially to get a reliable idle. Usually just removing a shim under the head is enough. I doubt that most people would notice the performance drop with 0% nitro to 5 or 10%. Might just get mad if it cuts on idle. That is the main reason for the acetone. I don't think acetone is any harder on an engine than nitro. Nitro is also a strong solvent with similar properties to acetone, and is used at much more than 2%. I found anything over 15% nitro to be corrosive on motors and they need after run oil very quickly after a day of flying. In Europe 0% fuel is more common than North America.. I used it for fuel in the FAI class with no problems in control line flying. I think when done flying that any acetone would evaporate quickly enough to not damage the insides of a motor. I will admit to not using acetone....yet.

Last edited by aspeed; 01-05-2021 at 10:06 AM.