RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 05:58 PM
Glowgeek

Received 64 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by husafreak
I just got a 150 high comp and I'd like to get more info about exhaust "systems" that work well with these engines. The one I got has the two stroke looking muffler with a lot of small holes for the exhaust, it attatches to the cylinder with a 45 degree curved pipe, pretty cool looking but might require a big cutout in the cowl and that decidedly non scale look. I have found straight pipes to work well and sound great on smaller Saito engines, they don't seem any louder either. So maybe I could just use a flex pipe in place of the stock muffler? I see that Saito sells 90 degree angle manifolds to transition to their flex pipe but isn't that too aggressive? Note that I bought a Seagull Yak-11 Reno Air Racer for this engine and the exit from the round cowl would be a nice small hole if I could use a pipe type exhaust. Obviously if I fly this like its full scale counterpart it will be wide open swinging a high pitch prop a lot of the time so if the type of pipe has any effect on performance or heat build up that would be a consideration too.
I originally bought this for a WWI bipe but decided a potentially high strung powerhouse would be happier in something fast and clean.
Oh, so now it's a Yak, sweeeet.
You don't have to cut a big opening in the side of your cowl to run the muffler through. Mounting the engine at a 45° down angle allows adjusting your current muffler to exit the bottom of the cowl. Mounting the engine inverted and using a 90° male to female adaptor allows the muffler to exit through the bottom as well. Spitting the cowl is another option that allows for a tidy looking side exit. RC Specialties sells a turbo muffler that looks better and weighs less than the Saito offering. They also sell the 14mm 90° adaptors.
The following users liked this post:
husafreak (02-03-2021)