RCU Forums - View Single Post - FRSky Taranis Beginners Support Group
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2021, 07:14 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Hey Ted
Quick question. Why assign model numbers to receivers.
Not being a jerk intentionally, I just don't see any reason for it in the real world.
Thanks for your thoughts. Am I missing something important here.
You're actually assigning a seperate number to a receiver. So if the RX had a number of #2, and you had it in a model that is temporarily out of service (say in position #4 in the listings), and wanted to put it in a new model (say #16 on the list), just tell the new setup the receiver is #2, and you shouldn't have to rebind.
Newer versions of OpenTX will alert you if two models have the same receiver number, but it doesn't prevent you from using it. Just a safety warning, so you make sure you really have the correct model selected in the TX.

The one time I actually used this feature, we were doing club combat. My plane got hit pretty hard. I had a spare that had been fully set up in the TX as a separate model, but at the field had no receiver in it. I pulled the RX out of the damaged one, and put it in the new. Then in the TX just gave it the same RX number, and went back into the fight.
Later, after repairs, I put that RX back in the original plane, and put a new RX with a new number, in the replacement.