RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to program Taranis with homemade "tank"
Old 02-16-2021, 11:09 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mantafloppy
Thx, so seem I'm missing some hardware for the stick controll.

I already have some BlHeli Esc that can be program for reverse, but I don't have the programmer... It's in the mail.

I think I have all the info I need, thx again all.
As someone with a bit of MR experience here I can help a bit. BLHeli does support 3D, so you don't need new ESCs. However BLHeli is a bit old in the tooth, so when/if you reorder try to get a BL32 version as it has a lot of features for the same price. A nice 30A single shouldn't cost more than $10-15ish. Now to program you have a few options but the easiest is to use a cheap flight controller and go through something like Speedybee on Android. If not you can program your ESCs through a PC via passthrough to which there is a lot of info on that online. A cheap flight controller will also help with mixing, you assign the tank as a wing and the up/down of the ailerons is actually the same commands as tank controls. The flight controller could also handle extra assignments, fail-safes, FPV control, serial outputs, etc. I use FCs on almost all my cars and even rovers these days.
Your bigger issue is going to be starting torque. Unless that is a sensored brushless motor (which BLHeli doesn't support) the motor is going to have a lot of cogging until it starts to move. This will cause desyncs with BLHeli as they do not like cogging. You might have to actually bump start it with your foot if your KV is too high. I did some testing a few years ago with brushless stuff and unless you completely overpower the drive system brushless just isn't worth the extra money I found. That doesn't mean it wasn't super fun though! I would suggest reading into the BLHeli settings such as demag compensation, timing, min throttle (gonna have to set the ESC as a 3d quad), and possibly timing too. Also check out the arm procedure for a 3d quad too, it will be different than a normal quad/car.

Hope this helps!