RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA Bashing is Pointless
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 05:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by aymodeler
Not to be argumentative myself, but I'm honestly not sure what your point is. If you are saying that AMA members are stuck in the past, then when it comes to the RC hobby, I would say you are mostly right (that was kind of my point too). I wouldn't paint the entire membership with this broad brush, but it certainly fits a large swath. Many of us (even some of us old farts) do enjoy learning and trying new things, but I also know plenty of guys that would make your pry their 72 MHz radio out of their cold dead hands before switching to anything new. But whether its because the don't want to or don't care is irrelevant because that is just two sides of the same coin.

My point is that trying to change the AMA is a waste of time. While I do not agree with AMA on everything, I also have to say that on balance the AMA/club field model does work for me and many like me. I do find value in the dues that I pay as I get a great place to fly with a well maintained runway, some nice amenities, and a mostly pleasant company (and to put in perspective I spend less on AMA and club dues than I do on Netflix). I really don't spend a whole lot of time worrying about what goes on in Muncie and I don't let it spoil my fun. So, many like me are not terribly motivated to drive a lot of change. Could it be better? Could they offer more? Absolutely! But is it worth tearing the whole thing down ... well probably not, I'd rather spend my time building and flying.

That does not mean that I think that the AMA works for everyone. Many are finding alternate ways to enjoy the hobby, and that is OK too. If I could find as nice a place to fly that wasn't AMA I would be fine with that too, even if it required me to contribute in some way to support it's existence.

So don't rail against the AMA, your just wasting your breath. Build a better solution ... I'd gladly join in and help!
My points are:
  • that many are stuck in the past, on that I do agree with you
  • that Muncie isn't giving the membership a true picture of what's going on and what they are doing, leaving the membership in the dark and not giving them the chance to make informed choices other than just going with the status quo
  • that many probably would be more engaged as to what's going on in Muncie, you possibly included, if you were kept in the loop. Since you're not, anything that happens that you probably wouldn't agree with you don't learn of until after the fact
  • that Muncie, much like the current House of Representatives, isn't spending money you provide in a fiscally responsible way. In the same vein, the HoR just passed a Covid relief bill that only puts 9% of the $1.9 TRILLION toward Covid relief. The rest goes toward personal projects(like the indoor flying facility some on the EC are pushing for) and paying some states what can be looked upon as "bonuses" for incompetent leadership. One of the projects is a $250+ MILLION subway from San Francisco to Silicon Valley and the Napa Valley so Nancy Pelosi won't have to be on roads with us common folk.
So, to put it bluntly, the ED and EC aren't giving the membership the facts and the membership is thinking all is good when, truth be told, the AMA is dying a slow, but accelerating death.
With that said, I would like to thank you for your position of keeping the discussion civil and not adversarial. It's nice to be able to have a discussion with others that doesn't include having to defend ourselves from attacks that are used only to derail a thread from the actual subject

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 02-28-2021 at 05:55 PM.