RCU Forums - View Single Post - Slope soaring in front of the sea: salty breeze & electronics
Old 03-03-2021, 02:42 PM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See my post and photos of the Hobie Hawk.. My answer to the salt corrosion from flying on ocean slopes is that I will tell you my Hobie Hawk has been flown excursively at ocean flying sites in California since 1980 using the Airtronics XL AM system shown in the second photo. I still fly it using the original Tx, Rx and switch harness. The servos were replaced about 10 years ago after thousands of flight hours as they finally got sloppy, but were otherwise OK. The Tx and Rx are fine and the only thing that has needed replacement are the airborne and Tx NiCads which have been lasting about 5-7 years. From 1982 to 1995, I lived 1 block from the beach in San Clemente and since that time I reside in Mission Viejo. We used to fly at Dana Point during the winter storm weather and often got rained on, but it never had any other effect than slight oxidation of the wing pins, presumably from when they got wet while disassembling the plane.

That said, if you go into the drink, your radio will be ruined and you have to replace everything in the plane or risk a failure later on. Unless you put the plane in a sauna bath, always fly in rainy weather, or have extremely high humidity of over 70%, it is doubtful that you will have corrosion issues.