RCU Forums - View Single Post - Motor trouble
Thread: Motor trouble
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2021, 04:21 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK! Don't take this the wrong way but when you say about 3 inches back, or around 1.5 to 2 feet. Such measurements are pretty much useless.

3 inches back? Back from what? The end of the fuselage structure or the prop? The measurement should be taken from the prop (maybe you did and I just missed it). Measuring anything should be done with a ruler or measuring tape to get a reasonable accurate length. When trying to calculate specifics like a CG, a 6 inch variance on a 2 foot model is a big range for error.

As for the wing. Wing span tip to tip. Wing Cord or the width described as being from the leading edge to the trailing edge. One measurement from right next to the fuselage (root) and one just in from the tip (tip cord). Assuming as you said it's a P-47 model then should I also assume the wing tapers (smaller cord) as it goes from the root to the tip? This impacts proper CG location depending on whether it's a leading edge (LE) taper, trailing edge (TE) taper or both and how much taper.

I'm not going to cry foul on this yet but based on what you've said there's the possibility the wing is too far forward. Though I will say it's not by much. More accurate measurements from the prop back will help to determine that.

The internet has provided a venue where people must rely on their words and meanings for communications. Unfortunately with variations in education, experience levels, even geographic locations what one says and means can often be wrongly interpreted by others. Fuselage length? 18 to 24 inches with or without the 2 inches or so to get to the prop. So just how long is it really? See my point?

Again, I don't mean to get on your case. Instead I intend to educate you and help you learn more about this aviation thing. All too often a thread will dance around things like this causing frustrations for all involved and sometimes causing someone to leave the hobby in frustration. I don't want that to happen and am just trying to cut through to the chase. It's not politically correct but then, neither am I. I'm just trying to get us all on the same sheet of music so to speak.

Last edited by Retiredat38; 03-14-2021 at 04:23 AM.